A Guide to Aged Care

How Can I Prepare?

Moving into Aged Care can be a daunting task. Here are some tips to help you prepare for the move.


Should I consider a Power of Attorney?

A Power of Attorney is a legal document that appoints someone else (the attorney) to act on your behalf regarding matters of money and property even if you become incapable of understanding. You can get advice about preparing a Power of Attorney from a solicitor, a community legal centre, a state trustee company or your local magistrate’s court.

What is Guardianship?

In the event that you are unable to make decisions about your personal affairs, a Guardian may be appointed by a State or Territory Government to act on your behalf.

A Guardian is generally appointed when, after your health professional and/or friends or family present evidence before a board or tribunal, it is found that without an appointed Guardian to manage your personal affairs, you pose a significant personal risk to yourself.

How can I prepare for a serious illness?

Many people have particular preferences about their treatment during a serious illness. You may wish to provide information about your personal preferences to us when you move in. You can do this formally via an Advanced Health Directive which is a written statement of what health care you want should you no longer be able to take part in decisions about your medical treatment.

In addition, it is important to have your Will up to date to ensure that your estate and your funeral requirements are as you wish.

What is the Resident Agreement?

The Resident Agreement is a formal agreement between you and the aged care residence. The Resident Agreement is a legal document and outlines the terms of your residency, your rights and responsibilities and the rights and responsibilities of the facility as well as the details of your Accommodation Payment.

It is important that your Resident Agreement is signed and understood before you move into the residential aged care facility. If you are unable to sign the Resident Agreement someone who holds your Power of Attorney for you may sign on your behalf.

Checklist of people to notify of your move

There are a number of people and organisations who may need to know that you have moved into residential aged care – here is a checklist to help you.

  • Family members
  • Friends and neighbours
  • Doctors and other health professionals
  • Your home care nurse
  • Your gardener or lawn mowing person
  • Your cleaner or home help
  • Meals on Wheels and other community support services
  • Centrelink
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs
  • Australian Taxation Office
  • Medicare
  • Your Health Insurer
  • Your bank, building society or credit union
  • Your superannuation fund
  • Service NSW for your driver’s licence
  • Mail redirection with your local post office
  • The Australian Electoral Commission

What to bring?

When moving into your new home, please bring with you the following items:

  • Medicare Card
  • Pension Card (if applicable)
  • Health Care Card (if applicable)
  • Medication Summary from your Doctor
  • Medication
  • Prescriptions
  • Sufficient and suitable clothing for labelling at the facility
  • Personal items and family mementoes including paintings and pictures
  • Bank Account details
  • Payment of respite fees (if applicable)
  • Certified copies of Power of Attorney and Enduring Guardianship
  • Completed and signed Admission Form
  • We have doctors that visit the facility or residents may utilise the services of their own local doctor. You must have a doctor organised before your admission date.

We look forward to welcoming you to your new home.

Next in our Guide to Aged Care:

What is Respite Care?

If you have any other questions relating to the care and services provided, please speak to our Client Relations Manager.